Friday, January 25, 2008

Tips for Watching Film

I would encourage anyone to get as much film as possible and watch it. The NBA and NCAA uses film extensively to force officials to see what they do, in an effort to give them as much feedback as possible to improve performance. No different than with players.

When you first watch yourself on film, it is quite bizarre. You don't realize how your mechanics look. You don't realize how your body looks when you run. You think you got a particular call correct, but the film shows something different. And it always changes. I watched a film from 1/5/08. Before seeing the film, I thought that my call selection was average at best, and that we had not managed some emotional moments from players and one coach well during the game. I wanted to see if there were precursors or other factors that caused these things. After the watching it, I was happy to see that the calls made were actually good, and that the tense situations did not look bad on film at all. In fact, I'm not sure the average observer watching the tape would have thought we had those issues at all. What was mortifying to me was my court positioning. I was too high as the C, and too high as the T at times. When I made calls from there, even though they were correct, they could have looked better had I been positioned better. I don't see those calls made from those positions on TV. So film is an awesome tool.

Kirk Barlow provided another set of notes he took when Violet Palmer spoke at a camp. She is one of the first two women that got hired by the NBA a while back. We all remember the comments made about women reffing in the NBA. Well, the other lady did not last, but Violet is still working the NBA. And the NBA takes feedback and training to the ridiculous level. They have to watch a ton a film and get graded on just about every second they're on the floor. So who better to advise on how to watch film and get the most out of it? Here's her set of tips:

Rotation and Court Coverage – Live ball and dead ball! Make sure you are in the correct position relative to the players and the ball, strong side, weak side.

Angles – good position to ‘look through’ your match up. No straight-lines. Call your primary area!

Referee the Defense

Accept the ball at intersecting points. Ball comes into your primary, aggressively take it.

Communication – Eye contact, body language, posture, mechanics, etc…

Game Management – among all the other things, be good with clocks, can really help you look like you’re on top of everything.

No comments: