Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Is that his call?"

I absolutely hate it when I hear officials say, "Ask him!" when a coach questions something that happened right in front of a partner.  Especially on scoring plays, because you should have 2-3 sets of eyes on scoring plays around the basket.

At best, you are telling a coach that your partner may have missed on and it is not your problem.  Typically, since most of these situations occur on scoring plays when you are near the coach, and probably saw something similar to what set him off, it's a passive-aggressive swipe at your partner.  Neither one espouses the mantra of teamwork, brotherhood, and backing each other up that all referees claim as their religion.  Wanna be a respected R and leader?  Read on...

I had a situation where a ball was fed into a post player who was probably camped for a while.  I was the T right next to the opposing coach.  Post player caught the ball 3 feet from the basket, and took his sweet ass time to gather himself and moose a shot up through a much smaller defender who was fighting all the way.  Boop!  3-point play, call made by the L.  Problem was, the kid was probably in there 5 seconds prior to shooting.  It should have been a 3 in the key.  No question.  Can't correct that.

Coach got excited.  "That's 3 in the key!"

George's brain: "Oh, s^&t!  S*&t, s*&t, s87t 1"  George's mouth:  "You're right!"

Coach, heading towards L and gaining emotional steam:  "How can he not call that?!  It's right in front of him.  That's his call!"

George:  "No, it's all of our call, Coach."

Coach:  "What?!?  It was right in front of him!"

George: "Hey, I'm standing right where you were.  I saw what you did.  I should have called it."

Coach:  "But that's HIS call!"

George:  "No, it's all of our call.  Any of us could have made it, and we didn't.  It's on me, too."

It ended right there.  Coach never even addressed the L.  I doubt the L even knew what went on.  Now, I had time for this extended conversation because I stayed there for the reporting and the free throw.  How do you think that coach views me now?  Think I earned some credibility?

The best thing?  It's the truth.  I could have and should have made that call.  I didn't register quick enough, and didn't hit the whistle.

It happens other times.  "Yeah, coach, it looked like contact to me, too, but I had the third best look, and didn't feel confident calling it...but you probably have a point, and I'm aware of it."

"Yeah, coach, looked like contact, and I could have pulled the trigger, but didn't.  I missed it, too."

Don't be the Big V that points fingers.  Crew integrity is your best friend.  Everyone talks that game.  A lot of people don't walk that game.

No comments: